Welcome to my blog!

He you will find all my random ramblings on all sorts of subjects ...

Wednesday 27 May 2009

Elf allergy

Why do I write fantasy? Simple answer, I don’t think I do!
To me, fantasy is all about magic swords, elves, castles and ‘Dark Lords’… and it bores the underwear off me! I want to read about flesh and blood people in our world…or a close version of our world…dealing with the extraordinary. To me it’s far more ‘fantastic’ to confront a dragon in Sainsburys than in the kingdoms in Middle Earth. I love the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, but can’t help wishing that Hogwarts had been surrounded by Muggle villages so that there could have been tension and interplay between the world of magic and our own humdrum one.
I admire other authors who can imagine whole worlds for their characters but I always write mostly to please myself, I think our own little world has room enough for the weird and miraculous and will continue to set my stories here.

No comments:

Post a Comment